Monday, 16th July 2018.
It's Day 16 of International Zine Month, and today's task is to make a list of reasons you love zines. Let's do this!
10 Things I Love about Zines
By Toby John Buckley, age 22 and a half.
- Anyone can make a zine! You don't need an MFA or a whole lot of money, all you really need is paper, pens and ideas. I love zines because they bring art and creativity back to what I think it should be: A way for everyone, regardless of circumstances, to express themselves and make themselves heard.
- There are LOADS of different types of zines - perzines, fanzines, infozines, submission-run zines. You name it, there's a zine about it.
- Zines are GAY. Not every zine is run by queer people or deals with queer themes, but definitely the majority of zines I come across are made by members of the queer community and other marginalised groups. Which reminds me...
- The zine-community is fantastic. Everyone is so supportive of each other, and so enthusiastic about the littlest things.
- Somehow, nobody really agrees on how "zine" is pronounced. I always thought it had to be pronounced like ~ZEEN~ because it's short for "magazine", but so many people pronounce it like ~zyne~ and I find that hilarious and wonderful.
- Zines are political AF. Because their production is so casual, they don't have to worry about trying to be centrist for the sake of not offending people. Even the least political zines are pretty political. The first zine I read was about apples but so much of it was about abortion. It's great.
- Zines all look different. Some zines are a single piece of paper all folded up, and some are big thicc booklets, and all zines are beautiful.
- Zines mean you don't have to stop doing dumb arts and crafts when you leave primary school. You can make something that doesn't really serve a purpose or sell for big bucks!
- Zine events are freer than a lot of literary events, and don't have to follow this set formula for formal readings. Bring felt-tip pens! Bring your dogs! Bring your gran!
- Zines can have a message, or they can just exist for the sake of existing. They're a wonderfully free medium, and I love them almost as much as I love bees.